Our guest today is Larry Hagner, host of the popular Dad Edge Podcast. Today we dig into what it takes to be a good father, husband, and business owner. We learn how to communicate better, connect with our spouses and children on a deep level, and build healthier relationships. If you want to be a better person in your personal and business life, then tune in to our conversation!
Learn more about Larry and his journey at reiclarity.com!
“A lot of people think that creating a healthy, elevated, extraordinary marriage is a feeling. No. It’s a skill.”
Larry is the creator of the Dad Edge Podcast and community, which helps men to become healthier in their personal and professional lives.
He talks about the 5 main reasons why men join his mastermind. They want to manage and master their family finances, optimize their physical, mental, and emotional health, create an extraordinary marriage, connect and be patient with their kids, or become better leaders. In Larry’s experience, 8 out of 10 men join his mastermind because they want to elevate their marriage.
“Nothing is more detrimental to the relationship than you not validating your wife’s feelings.”
When it comes to creating an extraordinary marriage, there are 4 elements to consider.
- Your self-care. Are you taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally, so you can show up in the best possible way for your wife and your family? You have to take care of yourself first to be able to take care of your loved ones.
- Partnership. This is the “business side” of marriage, like paying bills and doing chores. Identify the different roles and expectations in your marriage.
- Friendship. Do you like hanging out with your wife? Do you support each other? You should be good friends after all.
- Intimacy. These are the physical and emotional aspects of the relationship.
All these 4 pillars sit on the foundation of communication. To have better communication with your spouse, you need to have tactical empathy, be able to emotionally validate your partner, and practice active listening.
Larry explains the 3 basic needs of a man and a woman in a relationship. Women want to feel seen, heard, and connected to their partners. For men, the 3 basic needs are to feel respected, appreciated, and validated.
“When your kids feel heard, and seen, and connected, that’s when that environment of psychological safety really comes to life.”
Larry talks about how to build better relationships with your kids.
- Make sure to ask them if they need advice or just someone to listen to them. Let them talk and listen carefully.
- Use a calm tone of voice and speak to them at a slower pace. Don’t be demeaning or condescending.
- Let them express their needs and validate their feelings.
“Most men will live a quiet life of desperation.”
At the end of the episode, Larry picks action steps from the REI Clarity Framework that are the most valuable to him. These are “Forecast Your Future” and “Take the Risk”.
According to Larry, there are many men who are risk-averse. He would much rather take risks even if they don’t always turn out successfully than die without trying. There’s a bigger risk in doing nothing and not going anywhere in life than failing sometimes.
Mentioned in the show:
- Larry Hagner – The Dad’s Edge
- His LinkedIn
- The REI Clarity Framework
Learn how to grow your portfolio and reach incredible success the right way! Visit us here for everything you need to know: www.shineinsurance.com/reiclarity.
Special thanks to Larry Hagner for taking the time to share so many great insights with us
If you enjoyed this podcast, there’s a couple of things we need you to do right now:
· SUBSCRIBE to REI Clarity on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts
· While you there, please RATE & REVIEW the show
· SHARE with friends
· Finally, please, JOIN the REI Clarity Facebook Group
Then, please share the show with whoever you think it will inspire.
Until the next time, We truly appreciate you listening.
Need the REI Insurance Guy?
More great stories & information at: