Our guest today is Javier Hinojo, an investor who went from 0 to multiple multifamily properties in less than 5 years. If you are an investor who’s just getting started and wants to know what your REI journey could look like or you’re ready to jump from the single-family space into commercial real estate, Javier has a ton of great information to share with you! Learn more about Javier and his journey at reiclarity.com!
“Just follow a proven system, find somebody that’s doing it, then do what they’re doing and actually do it better.”
Javier started his investing journey through the Rich Dad, Poor Dad seminar that he attended with his friend. He already made his first deal halfway through the seminar with his partner.
Soon they were doing 50 flips and 80+ wholesales a year. According to him, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel in real estate, you just have to find a mentor and do what they do the best you can. Don’t be afraid to take risks.
“I felt like I was scaling to unhappiness, and I couldn’t do that.”
Javier talks about the pros and cons of flipping and wholesaling.
- Pros: It can make a lot of money fast.
- Cons: It is very hard to only work on the business and not in the business, and most of the time it becomes a job. Flipping also doesn’t provide long-term wealth.
- Pros: It is risk-free as you are essentially just selling paper. It is very lucrative financially.
- Cons: When wholesaling, you don’t have a real estate business but a sales and marketing company. If you don’t love sales and marketing you will not like wholesaling. It still doesn’t provide long term wealth.
Eventually, Javier realized, that he wanted long-term wealth for himself and his family. He sold his single-family portfolio and started buying apartment buildings. His first deal was a 63-unit multifamily.
“The biggest thing in a partnership, just like in a marriage, is that you got to set the expectations upfront.”
Javier’s advice on how to build your strategy when you’re transitioning to commercial real estate:
- The most important part is to believe in yourself and that you’re capable, so you don’t get in your own way.
- Network. Connect with people you want to learn from and offer them help, instead of just asking for advice.
- If you feel like you can’t do it by yourself, partner with someone who is totally different than you but has the same vision.
Javier’s last investment was a 116-unit mobile home park that’s worth around $4M. With the purchase price and the value-add moves, it costs around $1.4M-$2M, so it was a great success for Javier.
His advice about mobile home parks is to always go bigger because those have better loan options. Also, to find a very good deal, so even if things don’t go as you planned, you still make money.
Mentioned in the show:
- His LinkedIn
- His Facebook
- Billion Dollar Multifamily and Commercial Real Estate Facebook Group
- His Instagram
Learn how to grow your portfolio and reach incredible success the right way! Visit us here for everything you need to know: www.shineinsurance.com/reiclarity.
Special thanks to Javier Hinojo for taking the time to share so many great insights with us
If you enjoyed this podcast, there’s a couple of things we need you to do right now:
- SUBSCRIBE to REI Clarity on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts
- While your there, please RATE & REVIEW the show
- SHARE with friends
- Finally, please, JOIN the REI Clarity Facebook Group
Then, please share the show with whoever you think it will inspire.
Until the next time, We truly appreciate you listening.
Need the REI Insurance Guy?
More great stories & information at: